Friday, August 19, 2011

Persuasion

236:

I’m in a tricky position as a self-appointed advocate for animals, because I’m assuming I have the right to talk about them on account of no longer eating them. Maybe I’m in a strong position but it doesn’t give me the right to advise people what to eat or the right to expect them to agree with me. I need to be invited to speak on this subject and for that I need to earn the listener’s respect and interest (from a starting position of being a likely bore on the subject). I have to be convincing whilst going easy on the moralising.
Sure, I want to be an activist, a communicator and an educator but I also want to be sensitive to people’s problems regarding their food addictions. I can’t assume a role just because I want to.
Some practising vegans don’t want to be activists at all. Animal Rights isn’t a realistic cause for them to promote, because it seems a ‘hopeless case’. They’d rather speak about it only with people they know well.
Others decide to go further and attempt to persuade people to protest, demonstrate or get into direct action. For that you have to believe the cause is worth promoting, despite the seeming lack of interest amongst people. I know that I need to be optimistic that people’s attitudes will eventually change. However, keeping my feet on the ground, realising how unaware 99% of people still are about the level of animal cruelty and the dangers in eating animal foods, I have to cop negative reactions.
Here’s the range, from negative to positive:
“The sun is hot, the water’s cool, the beach is inviting ... who gives a stuff about … what did you say? Animals? You want me to think about what?”
With an attitude like that it’s probably not a good time to be talking about Animal Rights.
Or:
“I don’t agree but I admit it’s a serious issue. I’m listening. I’m ready to consider ... I’ll hear you out”.
Or:
“I agree in theory, I’ll give it a go. I’ll try a plant-based diet”
Or:
“I’m happy eating vegan food, I consider myself a vegan and I’m moving towards political activism”.
At first people have to break down their mistrust and the dislike that precedes us. If I can show an interest in them, trust grows and dislike diminishes, and if there’s a spark of interest or even a question, then we’re in business. (Unless they’re just being polite). An unguarded, intelligent question makes it no longer necessary for us to walk on eggshells - if they take the initiative of asking it makes our job so much less frustrating. However, if I’m the one who takes the initiative, as if putting my foot in the door, it’s likely to be closed in my face. And ‘once bitten twice shy’ - the door’s closed on me for ever.

No comments: