Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Being well informed

240:

This is one broad subject to learn about. It touches on so many things, including ethics, nutrition, environmental concerns and modern husbandry. Animal advocates are expected to be knowledgeable about all of this if they want to speak intelligently about Animal Rights, well, to have a working knowledge anyway. It isn’t enough to cite cruelty to animals as the one reason to be vegan, although that’s my own primary reason. There are in fact so many other reasons and it’s good to be able to speak about each of them.
But I mustn’t kid myself. How ever many arguments I put up and how ever many details I can offer, I’ll always have a difficulty overcoming the initial shock of, “What, no more animal products at all, food, clothes, shoes, zoos?”.
The long list of ‘don’ts’ makes boycotting all things with animal content sound too much to take on, it’s one huge decision and not to be taken lightly. To understand this helps me not get too righteous. On the one hand, for me, it’s simple - I don’t use anything with animal connections but to others it’s daunting. For me, when I’m encountering opposition I have to be confident about what I’m saying, not get too easily rattled. I have to be able to deal with being put on the spot.
Whatever we feel inside, passionate, angry, well-informed, we don’t need to show it, especially if we’re talking with red necked, vegan-haters. Whatever we think about the person we’re with, if we can maintain a neutral exterior and listen without reacting, and keep our own talk calm, we’ll maybe win some grudging respect … enough to be given the go-ahead to speak more fully. And then, once we’re allowed to voice our opinion and flesh out our arguments, we’ll have a better chance to reach people.

No comments: