Saturday, July 17, 2010

The driving consideration

You’re invading my ‘personal space’.
I push you aside. But if you’re nice I might draw you in.
I might need your admiration.
Look at my achievements,
Don’t look at the consequences which weren’t intended.
Look at me in my ‘me-centred’ action.
Animal Rights. Genuine. Caring.
Or ‘me’ needing-to-achieve?
Look at me in the delicate china shop
Smashing recklessly. I’m showing off
No thought to the consequences.
Look at us all, vegans and non-vegans,
Held back by fear of the soft side.
‘Humanity’ hasn’t been our driving consideration.

Or put another way:
What is our driving consideration? Is it that our quest for achievement brings us face to face, down the track, with consequences. We charge through the proverbial ‘china shop’ to show how much ‘forward-drive’ we’ve got, with no-thought-to-the-consequences. It’s just another ‘me-centred’ thing we do.
Animal Rights is a deep and genuine concern for most vegan activists. It’s also about our needing-to-achieve, so it isn’t all selfless. Amongst vegans and non-vegans alike, ‘humanity’ is often not the driving consideration. It may be a personal power thing or a social respect thing and our softer side often gets pushed into the background.

No comments: