Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Getting others to hear what we are saying

1755: 

When I get to thinking about my own self-development, I must first think about the repairs I need to make which opens the door to being a much more creative, constructive, caring person. The person I want to be.

I have two things going on in my head at the same time here - I’m wanting to do something for myself and something for the greater good. It starts out with self-discipline and turns into enjoyment. It's like keeping fit. It works in the same way. I don't want to end up with a body that doesn't work. Perhaps I need to lose weight or tone my muscles. I do the training, which is hard work. I end up proud of my efforts, and with a working body. In the same way, working for the ‘greater good’ sounds grim until we begin to feel the rewards of our efforts - the selfless becomes self-benefitting. What we want for others is what we want for ourselves. What I do for myself benefits others at the same time. So this might be true altruism - a self generating energy which is neither me-centred nor you-centred but a balance of common interests.

This sort of altruism is the intelligent way of organising one's life. It fits my own needs and is also useful to others. Maybe I can help only in the smallest way but it’s a start, and who knows where it will lead? But in order for altruism to work I must be optimistic - "Damage has been done, but it can be fixed”.

Optimism ‘ups’ the energy all round. If I'm optimistic it's not because it’s right but because it’s meaningful and heading towards something that’s ultimately satisfying. Satisfaction and meaning are the big drivers here. As soon as I think I’m making a difference, for example by going vegan so that animals won’t be killed on my behalf, I've taken a step in the right direction.

The ‘I’ steps closer to the collective wanting for animals to be liberated. Once I can clean up my own act at home by establishing a vegan kitchen, then I can see myself as others might see me. NOT as a complaisant vegan, NOT as a figure of fun for others to mock, just as someone being who they want to be. If I'm now vegan that's a private matter which might mean very little to others, but still others can identify with me as a likeable, self-effacing person who is clear about some important personal aims.

Naturally, vegans will want to talk about animals, food, abattoirs, etc., and naturally we'll want to build a strong support base for animal liberation, but we also want to be acceptable. Ideally, we want others to be able to identify with the way we can balance passion with outrage, enough to hold back if the time isn't right to communicate any of this.


I know it isn’t enough to simply pass on information to others. Everyone today is saturated with information and indeed misinformation, so why believe anything I have to say? But there are facts which can be referenced, and if they're indigestible or unattractive so be it; I still try to encourage others to listen. And for others to listen, I must try to be a likeable person. Unlikeable people give the listener a great excuse to dismiss any information we want to communicate. 

No comments: