Monday, February 22, 2016

Priorities

1629:

Edited by CJ Tointon

I love my bicycle! We have a good time together. But to be truthful, I have a rather abusive relationship with it. I don’t look after it. I don’t clean it. I don’t even oil it when it squeaks! But I rely on it every day to get me around. I occasionally pump up the tyres and curse it when I get a puncture. My bike serves me well but I don’t really have feelings for it. It’s just metal and rubber. It isn’t sentient. I’ll probably run it into the ground until it's no longer rideable; then dump it and get another one! It wasn’t an expensive bike and therefore not worthy of much respect! Quite an attitude!!  

But the things I own and the way I look after them, reflects my attitude towards them. Sure, I care about their looks and operation (when it suits me) but bikes don't pose any 'moral' questions for me. I'm not scared of my bike; although I am scared on one level. I'm scared of abusing something because it might 'bite back'. If I neglect the brakes on my bike, it may fail to stop when I ask it to!

Whether it's a child, a bike, a car, a dog or the planet - I have the same fear. If I don't do the 'right thing' by them, somehow I'll be made to suffer. My attitude towards humans is one of either respect or abuse. But what about animals? Why should there be any difference in my feelings towards them? And can I apply similar feelings to inanimate objects? Is this going too far? Do I think this 'attitude' would take too much effort if applied too liberally? And is this the reason why I might adopt the 'easiest possible' attitude?


Attitudes take time. Being a vegan takes time - and effort. Someone like me, with no family responsibilities, has more time to be 'creative' and 'imaginative' in the kitchen. Those with dependants often have less time. Their lives are literally not their own. Added to this (or perhaps because of this) animals may not be something they feel strongly about. After 'work' and 'home duties' there may not be much energy left to consider 'fighting for the animals'. Realising this, the Animal Industries know they can get away with almost anything. They know they'll not be criticised for what they do by already over-taxed people whose priorities are elsewhere.

No comments: