Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Some Personal Background


1451:
 
Edited by CJ Tointon

In my early twenties I noticed some unexpected deteriorations in my body.  I instinctively put this down to lifestyle abuses, particularly my crap diet, specifically my use of animal products.  Reason enough to try to avoid animal stuff altogether.  And simultaneously, I was finding out about the endemic cruelty involved in farming animals.  Forty years later, I know my instincts were spot on.

At the time, I couldn’t admit that my eating habits were clouding my judgement.  Now I know they did!  Luckily I stumbled across macrobiotics and that eventually got me away from crap food and led me towards whole foods.  Later, as the concept of 'Animal Rights' began to sink in, I was drawn to a plant-based food regime.  I began to feel my taste for this sort of food growing.  I actually liked it more than I thought I would.  As I got over my cravings for 'nursery teas', rich dinners and snack treats, I came to feel a sense of tremendous gratitude that I had stumbled upon all this at a relatively early age.  These days much younger people are introduced to plant-based regimes and there are even kids who’ve been vegan from birth. I regard these as the lucky ones.

But I appreciate my own early exploring and the fact that I didn’t leave it too late to realise that something in my life was about to be irretrievably spoiled.  Vitality and sharpness, which I think I possess, did not necessarily have to be adversely affected by the 'ageing process' (which is what most older people put their various deteriorations down to).  I now realise that the great benefits of having both a clear conscience and a healthy physical body can be put down to eating 'clean' food, by which I mean plant-based foods. 

Back-in-time, something else was jogging me in the right direction.  I was school-teaching and many of the kids came from overseas (this was London 1968).  I saw kids who’d suffered serious malnutrition and who’d lost confidence in themselves because of it.  Their circumstances had now changed - they'd come to an 'advanced' country to live.  But what I saw was not very advanced.  I saw them now being poisoned by crap Western food -  and eating too much of it.  When their bodies bloated out it was another blow to their self-esteem.  Then, as they learnt about animals on prison farms, I suppose it added to their sense of shame.  In a short space of time I saw honourable children go downhill - and all because they were mesmerised by plentiful supplies of food and they wanted to enjoy eating 'junk' food - like other kids.

Because of the human's attachment to animal food over many generations, the harsh reality of what animals are put through is forgotten.  We’ve grown accustomed to it.  Habits have formed and we've grown into 'hard hearts', hardening with every mouthful of 'animal food' we eat.  In the flush of adult independence, we get used to our own ethical indifference and become hooked by our various food addictions.  And as we continue to accept the foods we like eating, they gradually wreck both body function and our empathy for the creatures we are eating.

For economically-challenged animal farmers, their farm 'produce' is good news.  For the rest of us - it's bad news!  We should realise that animal products are the very worst of ingestive materials and yet they are eminently give-up-able.

 

No comments: