Saturday, February 22, 2014

Acting to stop violence

973: 

The ordinary person has his or her own problems that they can’t afford to neglect, concerning so many things - woe betide anyone who fails to earn enough money to pay their rent or mortgage.  And it’s essential to give children what they need, to secure their future, to prevent them being trampled by all the others who are struggling up the ladder.  If we don’t help ourselves no one else will - our political leaders can’t be relied upon for help or leadership.  They’re probably as nonplussed as we are.  If they’re doing anything at all they’re feathering their own nests.

There’s an obvious need for change.  Perhaps we see that many of our troubles can be traced back to violence and selfish concern but we can only focus on problems closer to home.  We can’t change the world. We can’t improve things for malnourished children.  We can’t alter our society’s food regime or close abattoirs.  What can an individual do to make a difference?  There’s a reluctance to step out in front, to take the first steps towards change, change that will set off a chain reaction.  We’re reluctant to stretch ourselves, to reach out, in case nothing happens.

On the one hand, I want change for my own benefit, on the other hand I want change for the greater good too.  I have a mix of noble and selfish needs.  The greatest fear is to be stepping too far away from reality and thereby failing all round.  And yet I know it’s up to me to repair what I see is crying out for repair.  It’s up to me to not doubt my own power to make a difference.  I say to myself, my ‘good example’ will encourage others to follow. I need to be sowing seeds and encouraging growth.  I need to be developing faith in others’ wanting-to-do-the-right-thing, for the greater good.  On the one hand the destructive nature of humans, our violent past, our constant insecurity, they are so deeply entrenched.  But on the other hand, we can see how dramatically some things have changed for the better, that radical change is possible and that most people’s intentions are good.

Where does all this get us?  Perhaps these are questions-without-answers, but simply by addressing them we can set ourselves in a direction that is helpful; some do’s and don’ts.

Don’t lose motivation and don’t take part in destructive behaviour. Do take on a non-damaging lifestyle.  Don’t give up too easily.  Do act attractively.  End the day feeling proud of having consciously taken one step forward.  That will surely generate motivation to continue.


No comments: