Friday, September 6, 2013

So, you think I’m mad to be a herbivore.

829: 

One of the clinching factors for me, in thinking I’d made the right move by jumping to herbivorousness, was that it felt safe. I wasn’t going to die or get ill. I’d discovered that there had been many decades of research, to prove it was a safe diet. Once I felt safe and felt good about the food, my focus was able to shift from my own unsafety to the underlying problem of inconvenience. I could see the main difficulty might be less to do with health and more to do with the fragility of my own human nature –  I realised that it was within human nature to be predominantly interested in ME and far less interested in the welfare of others? And when it comes to the welfare of animals, their interests, plus a reduction of and greater expense in buying their flesh and by-products, then it comes down to going against self-interest and my own daily convenience. That’s quite a jump!

This might explain why, even when the idea has lots of appeal in theory, that in practice there are still pitifully small numbers of vegans and, consequently, ever increasing numbers of executed-animals being consumed by non-vegans.

No comments: