Saturday, October 6, 2012

The charging rhinoceros


531:

When things begin to get out of hand for the vegan activist, when we go into the discomfort zone and the omnivore’s uninterest is made obvious, that’s when we’re liable to make our worst mistakes. Just before blowing our top, at some silly or provocative remark, we should let it sink in. We should use it, to tell us roughly where that person is coming from.
            Just this morning I was in the Council offices, getting a JP to sign my discount travel pass. And I say to the man behind the counter, “This will get me on buses cheaply …” And I heard the woman, from the next desk, who was trying to be helpful, say, “And McDonalds gives you a discount too …”. So, I bristle-up with, “I don’t go to McDonalds”, with a tone in my voice that says, … “to go there is beneath me” (as a prelude to, “They serve dead animals there”).
            I’d planned all that out within a second of her comment being made, aiming at a point further up the track where I could go on to explain why I didn’t go there. Any opportunity for me to have my say, about McDonalds and their use of factory-farmed animals.
            In this case I didn’t need to react with anything but a “thanks”.
In most cases I’ll jump in too quickly to defend animals. I’m reckoning that a small show of anger will help stimulate my adrenalin and prime me for a smart response. But it will be seen merely as a cheap shot. I shouldn’t show that sort of knee-jerk reaction? If I were more constructive I’d do it another way.
            I could instead be acting-out my ‘defender’ role non-threateningly, as if I was emotionally under control and taking care not to aim my remarks personally. I’d be trying to be helpful and well intentioned and any anger I show would be seen clearly as part of my ‘act’.
            I had a teacher colleague once who was always acting as if angry, and she was the most loved member of staff amongst the kids. She was always honest, consistent and trusted. You knew where you stood with her ... and her anger was measured carefully, to be effective, to show her real sense of caring for her students’ welfare. She was a brilliant teacher, needless to say. It was all part of her craft of being the good communicator.
            A poor communicator will misuse anger, allowing disapproval to be part of the anger. This sort of anger usually erupts faster than we see it coming and has a shock effect. But it makes people wary and suspicious.  If we feel it, that sort of knee-jerk anger is best concealed.
            If we are an animal advocate, we’ve usually got enough on our hands just getting to speak at all about animal issues. The last thing we need to show is anger. Ours is a highly charged subject at the best of times. Once out, anger is hard to retract. It sours the atmosphere. It’s a give-away when it appears. The voice screeches and the body language looks ugly. To the onlooker it’s like watching a rhinoceros about to charge. 

No comments: