Saturday, November 26, 2011

Multidimensional energy

343:

That we believe animals (i.e. food animals) are low on our priority list, and that we think their treatment is not very important, reflects rather an alarming attitude in humans. And yet it’s probably coming from a very basic survival instinct, connected to saving energy. We are brought up to think that animal food is the best source of energy, and that in turn is linked to an attitude about energy itself, and where it comes from and how profligate we should be in its use.
I don’t believe that all energy is simply a finite resource like the finite quantity of fuel we may have in the petrol tank of a car. There are surely other sources and qualities of energy, other than food, as there are other energy drainers. But it’s precious stuff this energy. It’s not a good feeling to run out of it ... so many of us are led to believe that it’s essentially a physically-produced substance and that we should resist the begging-bowl pressures, to push ourselves too hard ... for fear of draining this valuable stuff.
I’m led to believe that if I go too far that way I won’t do anything, like taking the initiative or leading a new fashion. If I risk my energy supply and interfere with my long list of nagging responsibilities something will go horribly wrong ... so I think I’d rather keep what energy I have ... and not risk or waste it … but there again, this very energy might be drained by my being guilty about doing nothing. So, I weigh up my options. I think about my responsibilities - looking after things I own, things given to me, ‘things’ I’m in charge of, like table, bike, food, kids, house, friends, knowing that each will take a portion of my energy. And then, after that, will I really have very much energy left for things lower on my priority list? ... like protecting animals’ rights? Working for Animal Rights sounds particularly energy consuming.
If I do choose to act for them, promote their rights, work like a ‘guardian’ for them, what will that involve? Energy. But energy comes from various sources. I think a lot comes from knowing I’m doing what I believe in. I think by serving the interests of those animals in extremis I’m acting from love (a well known source of the highest form of energy) and that will be in sharp contrast to the much cruder energy-manufacture going on in the much harsher world, where animals are made to work for us and are drained of their life to provide some sort of energy for us.
We’re told that the farmer loves his animals, but in truth any care shown to them is given to protect human interests, not the animals’ - attending to their welfare means the animals will respond better and grow faster and, in theory, more will be gotten out of them the less we are abusive towards them.
Is that cynical or what? I don’t think energy is quite that one dimensional.

No comments: