Monday, May 9, 2011

Violence-free fridges

110a:

Every day I work in other people’s homes (I’m a handyman) and put my sandwiches in their fridge ... I have a squiz ( ... unlikely, unlikely) to see if I’ve stumbled on a vegan fridge ... in thirty years of fridge-peeping I’ve had no luck … how disappointing is that?
There they lie, the same old bits of dead flesh in nice white trays or there’s moulding cheese or a p.-c.-correct carton of free range eggs ...
My clients - usually lovely people, are far (this is where I start my judging) far from the forefront of social change.
‘Transformation of the Species’ is a book I’ve been HUGELY influenced by, Google it, read it. My first response to it was “What a chance we have!”
I’ve come to the conclusion that moving away from animal food is where a ‘transformation-of-the-species’ starts ... because it’s animal-food that symbolises humans’ most routine and widely practised habit - violence. Our uncaring attitude to where-our-food-comes-from represents the hard side of ourselves - it’s the violent side of human nature which obviously needs changing ... and of course animal foods symbolise the general acceptance of that side of ourselves.
The soft side of ourselves, drawn to harmlessness and non-violence, is familiar to all vegans - it makes our life very different to other people’s. Wee buy different things for a start and consequently our kitchens smell different and we have, what might be called, ‘violence-free’ fridges.
Vegans, by boycotting violence-foods, begin transforming the species ... which is why veganism, to me anyway, is where non-violence starts and where non-violence inspires people to become vegan.

No comments: